If you’re looking to gain weight, you’ve probably already heard that exercise, protein, and metabolism are key elements of a healthy diet, but what about counting calories? How many calories should I eat a day to gain weight? It’s one of the most common questions I hear from friends trying to put on some pounds.
What is a Calorie?
A calorie is a way to measure the amount of energy in food. The number of calories contained in a particular food or drink is measured by the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of water by 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit).
You’ve probably heard that eating too many calories can make you gain weight, but you may not know why. The answer is simple: Eating more calories than you burn off leads to weight gain.
The number of calories in food is measured by burning it in a laboratory using a device known as a bomb calorimeter. Each type of food has a different caloric value:
- 1 gram of carbohydrate = 4 calories1 gram of protein = 4 calories
- 1 gram of fat = 9 calories
All foods are composed of these three nutrients. These numbers are approximate, but they give you how much energy there is in each kind of food. For example, 100 grams of broccoli contain about 26 grams of carbohydrates, so that the caloric value would be approximately 26 x 4 = 104.
How Calories Work To Build Muscle
If you’re eating to build muscle, it’s important to understand how your body uses calories.
Trying to gain weight is a different game than trying to lose weight. When you try to lose weight, the goal is simple: Consume fewer calories than your body burns.
But if you’re trying to gain weight, this strategy will fail. Instead, it would be best to have more calories than you burned. This isn’t as simple as just adding 500 calories a day to your diet — but it’s not that hard, either.
Calorie counting is the number one factor for gaining muscle mass, but you will want to make sure you consume different kinds of calories.
- The first type of calorie you need is protein. Protein is essential because it helps repair and builds new muscle tissue.
- The second type of calories you will need to consume is carbohydrates. Carbs help build muscle glycogen stores, allowing you to have energy while working out at the gym. Glycogen stores also help your muscles recover faster from a workout.
- The last kind of calories that you need to gain muscle mass is dietary fat. Fat is essential because it helps your body absorb vitamins and minerals better to be used for building muscle mass.
Trying to build muscle without counting calories is like building a house without measuring materials. You could buy lots of wood and nails, but if you didn’t know how much you needed, your project would be doomed from the start.
So it is with building muscle: If you’re not counting your calories, you’re guessing at how much to eat and may or may not be getting enough to support muscle growth.
I Am Very Thin Girl How To Gain Weight
I’m a 16-year-old girl who is very skinny, and I want to gain weight. I’m 5 ft and weigh 92 pounds, but I want to weigh 100 pounds. Is there any way to gain weight? Would you please help me?
Answer the interviewer’s questions. Talk about yourself, your life, and what you like most.
- What is your height?
- What is your weight now?
- How old are you?
- How long have you been thin?
- Do you eat three meals a day?
- Are you doing any sports?
- Do you go to bed late at night and get up early in the morning?
Lana is a petite girl who was looking for weight gain tips. We advised him to start eating three meals a day, ensure he gets 8 hours of sleep every night and join club activities at the community center. Lana informed us that after following our advice, he gained 23 pounds in just one year.
What to Eat to Gain Weight
What to eat to gain weight is a question many people ask. The list below contains the nutrients you need to increase your body’s muscle mass. If you want to gain weight quickly, these are the foods you need.
Protein is an essential nutrient that helps build and repair muscles in your body. Proteins are made up of amino acids found in both animal and plant foods. A high protein diet effectively gains weight because it boosts metabolism, provides energy, and increases muscle mass. This type of diet should also include lean cuts of meat without skin.
Carbohydrates are sugars, starches, and fiber and can be found in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products. Foods with a low glycemic index such as oats, brown rice, barley, and sweet potatoes contain complex carbohydrates that help you feel full for more extended periods. Eating these types of carbs will also increase muscle mass when following a high protein diet.
Essential fats are necessary for helping your body absorb vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E, and K since they’re not stored in the body like other vitamins and minerals. Essential fats can be found in fish oils, flax oil, and fish such as salmon or mac.
There are a few tricks to eating enough protein and calories when gaining weight. To tackle the protein problem, focus on protein-rich foods first. Eggs, meats, nuts, and tofu are all excellent sources. Then add in some of the following, which pack a lot of calories in a small package:
- Sweet or savory oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit, and whole milk
- A handful of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, and pecans)
- A few whole grain saltines with peanut butter
- Hummus with carrot sticks or pita chips (make your hummus with chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, and crushed red pepper)
- Low-fat cottage cheese with berries or sliced apples
- Grilled chicken breast sandwich on whole-wheat bread (or try grilled chicken salad made with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers topped with balsamic vinaigrette dressing)
- Whole wheat pasta carbonara topped with bacon (add Parmesan cheese to taste)
- Mixed green salad topped with grilled fish like salmon or mahi-mahi (or try grilled shrimp)
How Many Calories Should I Eat A Day to Gain Weight
How many calories should you eat to gain weight? That depends. The amount of calories you need each day depends on your metabolic rate and activity level.
Trying to gain weight can be frustrating, especially if you have a fast metabolism. You may find that you are eating more than your fair share at mealtimes yet still not gaining weight. This is because you could be eating too many or too few calories.
How Many Calories Should You Eat Per Day to Gain Weight?
The amount of calories you need each day depends on your metabolic rate and activity level. As a general guideline, most people will require 2,000-3,000 calories per day to gain 1-2 pounds per week, depending on their age and gender.
You can use the following formula to calculate roughly how many calories you should consume each day:
- Males (Age 16-17) * (Weight in lbs.) + 36 = Calorie Needs
- Mens (Age 18-29) * (Weight in lbs.) + 441 = Calorie Needs
- Males (Age 30-59) * (Weight in lbs.) + 576 = Calorie Needs
How to Gain Weight in A Week
Gaining weight in a week is possible for anyone willing to work. It takes willpower and dedication, but it can be done. It would be best to consume more calories than you burn through physical activity every day. To do that without gaining fat, you need to focus on eating healthy foods that are high in calories.
Diet Plan for Weight Gain in 7 Days
There are many diets and weight loss programs available nowadays. But, there are only a few proven ways to achieve weight gain. Weight gain can be difficult for most people. This is especially true for women.
If you’re struggling to gain weight, we have a few tips that can help. You can incorporate these things into your diet and lifestyle to help you healthily gain some pounds.
- Drink 2 liters of water every day. Water helps you feel full without adding calories to your diet, and it helps boost your metabolism.
- TIP! Drink a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon first thing in the morning to help you lose weight faster.
- Eat lots of protein at breakfast. Protein is an essential nutrient that your body needs to build muscle, repair tissue and maintain organ function. Start your day off with eggs, milk, or yogurt, and then add some protein powder to your smoothie or fruit juice for an extra boost.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. A healthy diet is not all about eating fewer calories; it’s also about making sure you eat the suitable types of food in the right amounts: fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains rich in nutrients but low in calories. Fill up on these foods to eat smaller portions at meals, and feel full longer between meals too.
- Have a light snack before dinner to reduce hunger at mealtime. Choose snacks like fresh fruit, light popcorn, or nuts for a healthier alternative to salty snacks like chips or pretzels (which can increase hunger).
- Eat chapattis, whole wheat rotis, idlis, poha, upma, and dosa (preferably homemade)
- Eat fruits like banana, guava, grapes & pineapple
- Drink plenty of water
- Have healthy snacks like peanuts, almonds & cashews
- Don’t forget to eat vegetables 6) Include milk or ghee while cooking vegetables
- Avoid oily food items
Final Words – How Many Calories Should I Eat A Day to Gain Weight
So, the ideal way to gain weight is to make sure you’re eating enough calories. But it’s essential to keep in mind that consistency is key here—you can’t simply eat a lot one day and expect your body to gain weight.
For your body to increase in size (which is what you want), you must consistently be taking in more calories than you are burning each day. And if gaining weight is a problem, losing fat will likely help you out.